Friday, January 28, 2011

25...

(Waiting the Challenger launch on Tue, Jan. 28, 1986)

Do you remember where you were 25 years ago? If your’re that old…I bet you do. For me…days before…the Chicago Bears had just completed their Super Bowl Shuffle and I watched the most lopsided Super Bowl victory. My attention, however, was focused on my family vacation to Orlando, FL to see Mickey & Minnie.

My family, left on Monday, January 27, 1986 to embark on memorable vacation. After landing in Orlando, we visited Gatorland. A neat little place…but my focus, however, was on seeing a launch of the space shuttle Challenger. I had learned all about NASA and was fascinated with the launch of the Challenger with the first civilian, a teacher, in space. I dreamt of seeing a shuttle launch and while our trip had long been planned to Florida, my mom…prepared me that we would likely not see a shuttle launch. Scrub after scrub, the launch was postponed…my chances of seeing a shuttle launch was alive.

On Tuesday, January 28, 1986 we ventured to Titusville, FL…had breakfast at a Holiday Inn…planning to visit the Kennedy Space Center afterwards. The Challenger was scheduled to launch, but we assumed it would be scrubbed, yet again, since the day was very cold. My Dad asked someone at the hotel, “where would be the best place to watch the shuttle launch?” The reply, “right from our parking lot.” Following breakfast we ventured to the parking lot. Soon, many others had gathered and someone had their car radio turned up loud, giving the “play-by-play” of mission control.

Waiting and waiting…my family appeased me. Then, the countdown began. It was really going to happen…I was going to see a shuttle launch!
With much excitement and cameras in hand, my family stood from a far watching the launch pad. Time ticked down…rocket boosters ignited…launch was coming…countdown continued…it was going to happen. The radio blasting the “control” was heard throughout the parking lot…excitement was mounting…and at around 11:38 AM Eastern time, the Challenger launched. I was witnessing history. My Kodak instamatic couldn’t take pictures fast enough. Then…with all the excitement…a separation occurred…thinking it was the boosters separating and it being a special occasion, I exclaimed, “WOW, they’re really showing off!”. Seconds later…in a silence I can’t explain…that car radio blasting mission control, I heard the solemn words, “…a major malfunction…”. A moment stopped in time, is the only way I can explain the feeling. Everyone knew. My only recollection was dead silence. Not a word. My eyes glued and locked to the sky. The only sound and one that I can still hear in my head today is the seagulls…that’s all I remember hearing…seagulls flying above…staring at the sky…seeing that orange fireball…and that big “Y”. “Why?” I don’t recall much after that…just utter silence. My family walked back to our rental car…not a word was said…we all knew…but knew nothing to say. I’m sure something broke the silence…not sure what it could have been. We drove to the entrance to Kennedy as planned…all was closed. Driving back to Orlando, my mom will tell you, and I don’t recall this myself...I said, “Can we do something fun.” Well, we did and we made the best of our long planned vacation.

To this day, all the memories and great times at Disney, Epcot, Busch Gardens, etc. don’t come close to the memories of Tuesday, January 28, 1986.

In just days from now, my wife, Kathy, and I will be taking our daughter to Orlando to see Mickey and Minnie and we cannot wait to see her face light up with all that excitement. I will cherish that forever…but I will also remember those seven astronauts that will always hold a place in my heart.

In memory of:
Ellison S. Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Gregory B. Jarvis, Judith A. Resnik, Michael J. Smith, Francis R. Scobee, and Ronald E. McNair

1 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Fotodog said...

Such a great story.
I recall looking at the photos and your Dad telling the story both with pride and a little sorrow.
You captured the memory very well both in your photos and your words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home